Welcome to this ever evolving Canine Corner, where I have devoted and dedicated 2010 as my "year of the dog". Dogs are our life time companions and this is an annal of appreciation dedicated to my canine companions.

If you like what you have seen here, check out my website cj's canines at http://cjscanines.com/

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Family for a Day


It must have been our destiny. "Scottie"* and I met just two hours after I heard about him from a neighbor. The word on Scottie was that he was not adjusting well to the " stray -dog- facility" life. He had lost weight and was loosing hair. The staff had determined that placing Scottie in a foster care situation would be in his best interest as soon as possible. Another volunteer approached me just as I was readying to leave the facility and asked me If I had met Scottie. I said I had not.

We walked to his den. Scottie's kind eyes expressed worry. His fur was actively shedding. He jumped up to greet us as if to say, take me home, just take me home.

"Only for one night" I exclaimed mentally. " I have two dogs at home and a busy schedule with a husband who had not yet been consulted." I conveyed to Scottie's eyes. Before I knew it, I was loading Scottie into my car with the help of another volunteer. A strong young man, who lifted Scottie, all 70 some odd pounds of him, into the back of my Subaru.

We drove home. I wondered how my 15 year old Dakota, and 2 year old Gabriel (both Great Pyrenees) would welcome a new dog into "their home".

Scottie followed me up the steps from the garage eagerly yet gingerly. It appeared that stairs were new to him, here in the land of one-story adobe houses.

We walked through the laundry room and out into the kitchen and den where Dakota and Gabriel were resting on their ergonomically correct bed cushions. Dakota raised her head from a resting position on the cushion to a sphinx pose, still and steady, her gaze set on the hound colored pup. I wondered if she saw the look of eagerness on his young sweet face. Her nose shifted subtly to adjust her nasal radar read. Gabriel was already in motion toward Scottie, leaning forward on a mission of scent and scrutiny.

Gabriel leaned his large white snout under Scottie's belly while Scottie stood erect with tail raised, a position of submission and patience. It was a canine equivalent of a homeland security station. Gabriel looked up at me as if to suggest that Scottie has passed the muster-- and shuffled towards me, as only Great Pyrenees can, for an appreciative pat and cuddle.

"Yes, I still love you, and yes you are still a top dog in my life" my hands tried to communicate. Gabriel took in all in and settled by my feet as if to guard me from this "interloper" We settled by the fire, and rested and communicated through glances and movement.

Time passed. The sun was surrendering to the peaks of the not so distant Sangre De Christo mountain range exploding out my kitchen window. The Change of cloud colors was imminent, the day was drawing to a close. I felt a group walk would do us all good. Scottie needed to reduce his pent up tension from his unfamiliar surroundings. I am a fervent believer that human and hound alike benefit from exercise to reduce stress and improve overall behavior.

We headed to the largest of Santa Fe's dog parks. There were no other dogs in site. My two descended from their rear perch of my Subaru. I lead Scottie from his back seat position and we all marched to the entrance. I undid all leashes and watched the swirl of air and fur and frozen sand. The three marched forward, noses seriously to the ground to pick up the latest canine news..................Gabriel took the lead, Scottie trotted close behind, with Dakota in third place. As we circled the twenty five minute perimeter I saw Scottie's body language transform. The tension was melting, the stride was loosening, the tail was raising. His body was settling in to stride, to smell, to the joy of movement and of life.

We climbed into the car, more of a crew than before. Gabriel had given up on scolding Scottie from the back seat. Scottie had climbed into the back seat without any coaxing, and Dakota the sage of the scene took note of all the antics of us younger folk. A short drive home, water was lapped up, cushions under torsos, I prepared dinner for us all. I placed some doggie "relaxation music" that helps to reduce stress and heart rates among dogs.

Scottie followed my every move with his eyes, occasionally arising from his cushion on the floor to follow me at the kitchen counter cooking, cleaning, putting the dishes to sleep for the night.

Then the hush of night took us all to our nightly sleeping session. There were no dog growls or barks to interrupt the night and so in the morning, I found all dogs happy and recharged and ready for another trip around the park.

We were well seasoned trippers by now. Scottie, traveled more closely with Gabriel. Dakota took up her position as Caboose on the dog train. Scottie ran to my side for a nibble and a pat and off he ran more at ease than the day previous.

As I headed out to a day of training and exercising dogs, I drove Scottie back to the adoption facility. A rosy cheeked staff member thanked me for my assistance in keeping Scout overnight. She happily shared the news that Scottie had found a foster home. I rubbed Scottie and we looked deep into one another's eyes, both transformed for the better in the time we had shared. (*changed name to maintain privacy)

No comments:

Post a Comment