Welcome to this ever evolving Canine Corner, where I have devoted and dedicated 2010 as my "year of the dog". Dogs are our life time companions and this is an annal of appreciation dedicated to my canine companions.

If you like what you have seen here, check out my website cj's canines at http://cjscanines.com/

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Waltzing with Elsa


I have met many extraordinary dogs and people through my canine connections, but Elsa and Monica stand out in the field.

Elsa is a roughly four year old golden mixed breed female of extraordinary intelligence. Her now human "mother" Elsa (for the past 3 1/2 years), is an accomplished artist and extraordinary woman whose commitment to her dog is at once inspiring, and remarkable.

I was brought into their collective lives little over a month ago. Monica is committed to working with Elsa to broaden her socialization skills. Elsa came to Monica a stray with little human exposure. Elsa was literally crippled by her fear and territorial behavior. Elsa has made tremendous progress under Monica's steady gaze, yet she still remains fearful of many people, places, and things. Elsa finds dogs to be far less of a concern than humans. As creatures of all kinds span the spectrum of shyness, Elsa is an extraordinarily wary dog. Monica has taken her to obedience classes, doggie day care, and seen her dog take baby steps to achieve a high degree of obedience and dog socialization. Yet, socialization with human's other than Monica is still her biggest hurdle.

Up until our initial meeting, Elsa had only permitted Monica to walk her. Our goal was to simply expose Elsa to me, to see if she would walk with me, and perhaps join me in my car. There was to be no pressure, but rather ample opportunity for Elsa to explore new worlds new relationships.

And so we began quite slowly, The three of us walked together down a long paved trail along El Dorado's extensive trail system. Elsa, was wary but did not bark, as she usually had done with strangers prior. I intentionally avoided eye contact, did not enter her space until she had indicated I was welcome through her movement, and waited for her to approach me, sniff me, etc.

By the close of the walk, Monica had cleverly handed me Elsa's leash, an we clicked and treated to a series of basic commands, walk, sit, back, down. Elsa had clearly warmed to me. We made plans to reconnect the following week walking together again.

Elsa was enthusiastic to see me the second time. After a few minutes we thought we would see how Elsa would respond to my handling her without Monica present. It was understood that if she shut down, she would not be forced to do anything except to be. Positive training methods only, Absolutely no forcing!

Monica left in her vehicle. Elsa's body registered fear and resistance. When I attempted to walk her she simply parked herself down on the ground. I refer to this as our "Helen Keller" moment. The moment where Helen Keller and her new teacher left to their own devices explored water through sensation..........Helen triumphantly repeating "WAWA" when the connection was made.

I was hoping for a similar "miracle". Elsa and I stayed in the parking lot's pathway for several minutes, I gazed at her tense loins. I let her be, soothing her vocally and letting her rest. I awaited the release of visible tension. As the clock ticked on, Elsa walked over to me and rested on the ground by my side. I asked her to touch my hand. With each touch of her nose to my palm, I clicked and treated, clicked and treated. Before long Elsa's body and countenance registered a higher level of ease. I considered inviting her to try walking with me again.

I realized Elsa had seen Monica's vehicle go in one direction, and I had indicated that we walk in another. Perhaps, I should invite her to walk in the direction the vehicle had gone? It was a good thought and more importantly it worked. Elsa joined me in the new direction. Her body indicated she wanted to walk, but that she was shaken by her mother's disappearance. As we gained ground her body loosened somewhat, her tail was tucked between her legs, but it shifted over the 20 minutes we walked. The exercise process proved powerful in its healing properties, however I was still walking alongside a cautious canine who although responded to my clicker training and commands and cues, was less than exuberant. I called Monica on her phone, feeling her progress was significant and that we should not overdo it for one day.

Our third meeting was extraordinary. We met in a new location near the center of town. Monica arrived with fresh homemade treats of the highest calibre, organic chicken and beef in plastic bags. Monica had reiterated that I should not feel pressured, to take my time and to call her on her cell should I need to.

Off Monica drove. I saw Elsa's body reflect her departure in by the tensing of her muscles. I used my high pitched voice to provide an enthusiastic distraction from Monica's departure. I invited Elsa to walk on and click and treat and click and treat. Elsa accepted my invitation to walk in the direction of the Monica's departure. Her tale was tucked, her head was down. She rejected my treats but she continued to walk. Within minutes she was lapping up treats and responding to my cues with greater success. Withing 20 minutes she was walking with enthusiasm. Fifty five minutes later, Elsa was trotting joyfully by my side, heeling, sitting, lying down, and staying perfectly each time she was asked. As we rounded the final corner I noticed her nose rise high and move from left to right. She was smelling Monica from afar. Her tail moved like a metronome set for a fast waltz----- and we waltzed forward straight to Monica's smiling visage.

I was glad for an opportunity to break in on the dance between Monica and Elsa one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment