Welcome to this ever evolving Canine Corner, where I have devoted and dedicated 2010 as my "year of the dog". Dogs are our life time companions and this is an annal of appreciation dedicated to my canine companions.

If you like what you have seen here, check out my website cj's canines at http://cjscanines.com/

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Can I be of Assistance?



I climbed up the concrete stairs above the Hidden Chicken restaurant in Santa Fe, New Mexico en route to the second story home of the Assistance Dogs of the West, a non-profit devoted to the rearing and education of assistance dogs. It is my second week in training to learn how to best support dogs in training on long weekend stays at my home.

I am met by my instructor Sue Barnes and the founder and Program Director of this commendable organization one Jill Felice. Jill founded the organization some fifteen years ago and plays an active roll in the training of the 30 dogs who live in either Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

Jill bends over and speaks to Trevor, a four month old Chocolate lab, who even at this young age is engaged and attentive to Jill and who sits in a most composed fashion.

Sue Barnes greets us with a broad smile and brings the class to order. And then........she provides us with a piece of paper which doubles as a pop quiz. My classmate Peggy and I sail through the questions... what is the dog's strongest sense? (answer smell). What foods are toxic to dogs? (raisins, grapes, chocolate, macadamia nuts, etc)

We both pass the test admirably and are asked to choose a dog we would like to train with. I have been eyeing Jackson, a handsome yellow lab, with intelligent and mature eyes. I secure my bait bag around my waist in preparation for "encouragement" as I learn to deliver oral commands to Jackson.

I can not rely on the visual cues I typically use when training "regular dogs". Assistance dogs are not trained to abide by such luxuries. Disabled people can not be expected to move their bodies and arms as most of us are able. And so, with Sue's clear direction we work through the commands: Leave it, get dressed, give, stay, closer, down, careful, and get your leash. And Jackson does.

I feel like a human pez, delivering three calories treats quickly and effectively. Jackson puts his head through his collar to "get dressed", drops whatever he is doing when I ask him to leave it, give me his leash when I say "give", shimmies up next to me when I say closer, moves his teeth more carefully when extracting a treat from my hand when I whisper "careful", and he gets his leash when I ask him to. What's more, Jackson looks up into my eyes and elicits more positive behavior than any dog I have ever met.

I know that what has brought Jackson to become such a polished pup of perfection has taken true devotion, education, time, and money. And it's all worth it because someone will be seated in their wheelchair and Jackson will pick up their keys, open their refrigerator, and help this person get through the day in a way, no one else could possibly do. The most exciting part of all of this for me, is that I am being given an opportunity to become a part of this all too fantastic process, I can be of assistance too.

No comments:

Post a Comment