Welcome to this ever evolving Canine Corner, where I have devoted and dedicated 2010 as my "year of the dog". Dogs are our life time companions and this is an annal of appreciation dedicated to my canine companions.

If you like what you have seen here, check out my website cj's canines at http://cjscanines.com/

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Emma Comes Home





For the last couple of months I have attended "Puppy Raising Classes" at the Santa Fe, New Mexico based Assistance Dogs of the West. It's a volunteer program which assists this laudable non-profit in the training of their adolescent dogs in training. It's been a fascinating ride learning the dog vocabulary (these dogs know an impressive 90 separate commands) devoid of body signals that traditional dog training languages embrace. After all, the handicapped may not have use of limbs we take take for granted.

Last week Emma, a delightful and petite 1 1/2 year old golden Retriever came home for a four night stay. At home, Emma met Gabriel and Dakota, my Great Pyrenees as well as my husband, Larry. The dogs frolicked together, determined pecking order, gathered ground outside for our outings.

On our first dog outing Emma, although the youngest, demonstrated that she is by far the fastest across the field, leaving her Clydesdale built Pyre's in the dust. Both Gabriel and Dakota and I marvel at the instantaneous response a long distance "come" generates. If she were not a dog, she could have been a barrel racer based upon the quick turns and sudden stops she pulls off. Then there is the softer quieter side of Emma, the personality adopted in the indoors while she is "working". Slight and seemingly smiling Emma sits at my feet poised for a pat, a treat, or simply a simple "yes" in return to a steady stream of impressive behaviors. Alongside her impressive behavioral resume is the lightness in her radiant presence.

When asked Emma retrieves fallen objects (keys, paper, you name it) and hands them to me, "gets dressed" by slipping her slender head into her collar attached to her leash. Should her leash fall to the ground she hands it to me. As I wander from room to room she politely shadows my every move, sittting oh so quietly under the table, by my left, or out front as I request. At thresholds she waits and looks to me for instruction, walks loose leash in perfect heeling symmetry, pauses prior to gracefully entering and exiting my vehicle, flips my lightswitches (our house was built according to Handicapped specifications with lower light switches), places her head in my lap to "visit", places both paws on any service upon request, and shows no indications of bruttish, stubborn, or bored reluctance. At night she holds a position as senteniel on the tile floor to my left. She is quiet, unobtrusive, and consistently upbeat and shows no agressiveness nor diviseness with my much larger dogs.

She is the perfect guest, and an inspiration to all in this household. The only problem I see is how to train a Great Pyrenees to be that attentive and unobtrusive, oh what was I thinking. Vive la difference!

Our second weekend is drawing to a close. El Nino is delivering yet another Sunday night Snow Shower as Gabriel and Emma lie side by side in deep slumber, the crackling cedar and pinon serenading these proud pups. They have shared a day hiking outdoors, music and repose, and the wonders of raw bones.

There is rumor that Emma may soon find a permanent post utilizing her skills and training. In the meantime, Gabriel, Dakota, my husband and I find it a great thrill to share in her care.

No comments:

Post a Comment